Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Twitter Rumor Madness - A True Story

Earlier today. I had a meeting at 2:00 for a couple of hours so I tweeted "Guaranteed to be a big trade in Pred land in the next two hours. I'm headed to a meeting with no form of outside communication".

Within seconds it had been retweeted as "RT @PredsOnTheGlass: Guaranteed to be a big trade in Pred land in the next two hours." I will not name the perpetrator because he is a good friend.

All of a sudden Twitter went mad with RT's and I hastily Tweeted "Good grief folks, take a joke! The only reason I said a big trade in within 2 hours is because I will miss it due to a meeting. Chill out!"

It appears that the calming words did not spread as fast as the "hot rumor" that was generated as this thing took on a life of its own. I even got a post at NHL Frenzy (and luckily a retraction).

My boy, Jackson, even got into the act Tweeting "What @PredsOnTheGlass really meant: "I will be in a meeting for two hours with no outside communication..." (Part 1) "...Which means a trade WOULD happen while I was in there and unable to hear about it." (Pt2/2) Sarcasm doesn't translate well over Twitter".

I am totally convinced the whole hockey world has gone mad searching for the perfect rumor.

I apologize to anyone who was led astray by my edited Tweet. It was unanticipated and certainly unintended. Anyone who reads our stuff would know that we don't even do rumors.

The really weird thing was is that I got a bunch of followers out of the whole incident. Thanks to the new followers.

More Later...

Buddy Oakes for PredsOnTheGlass

2 comments:

Scotty said...

all is forgiven!

Dirk Hoag said...

The really weird thing was is that I got a bunch of followers out of the whole incident. Thanks to the new followers.

Well, that explains why Eklund has so many followers, doesn't it?