Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Alex Burrows Claims Referee Stephance Auger Was Seeking Revenge In His Officiating

There’s a lot of controversy swarming around the officiating in Vancouver vs. Nashville game last night.

In an interview following the 3-2 Vancouver Canuck loss, Alex Burrows of the Vancouver Canucks claimed that referee Stephane Auger held a personal vendetta against him over a questionable hit on Burrows by Jerred Smithson that occurred in a game earlier this year in Nashville.

“Well, it was personal. It started in warm-ups, before the anthem, the ref came over to me and said I made him look bad in Nashville on the Smithson hit. He said he was going to get me back tonight,” Burrows continued, “after he did his job in the third, I think he got me on a diving call, I didn’t think it was diving, he got me on an interference call that I had no idea how he could call that. It changed the game.”

On top of the diving and interference penalties, with four seconds remaining in regulation, Burrows received a two minutes unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and a game misconduct.

It’ll be interesting to see what becomes of this situation in the next day or two. But for now, we wait.

Jackson Oakes for PredsOntheGlass.

No comments: